Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Changes

I have never been much for change.  I feel comfortable adhering to set patterns.

Ah, the change that can come from a minute or a mile!

Last week my blogging was cheerfully concerned with David Bowie, who was in the news for the release of his latest album Blackstar to coincide with his birthday last Friday.  The two new videos from Blackstar were mesmerizingly cryptic.  The visuals were lavishly stunning and the words were enigmatically endearing.   These elements were found in all of Bowie’s output and is a great part of my attraction to his work.  His imagination was drawn to the otherworldly outcast.  He was creating what fueled my dreams.

Before the excitement of Blackstar’s release had time to fade, a fresh wave of Bowie emotion surged to the forefront of the news.  Bowie had died before weekend’s wane.

Apparently the musical genius had been suffering from cancer.  He shared so many roles with the world via his music – Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, etc. – but his role as cancer fighter he played out privately.

Released videos from Blackstar have been scrutinized for farewell clues.  With an artist as intellectual and vibrant as Bowie, a multitude of clues can be found or imagined.

I’ve read a lot about Bowie and watched/listened eagerly to everything of his I could.  Articles and more about him have stoked the media over the last few days.  I have no greater knowledge about him to share, other then to express my personal adoration of his work.  I thought he was wonderfully bizarre as the title character in The Man Who Fell to Earth.  I loved the futuristic noir styling Bowie incorporated into his 90’s album Outside.  Outside and Diamond Dogs (which began life as a musical version of George Orwell’s 1984) played with paranoia and dark visions of a futuristic society.  This and other elements of Bowie’s charisma remind me of another of the icons I adore – Patrick McGoohan.

Patrick McGoohan’s probably most famous for his work as star of The Prisoner, a 60’s series he also worked behind the scenes to bring to life.  The program revolved around a secret agent who found himself mysteriously transported to an enigmatic village at an unknown locale.  The Prisoner has the edge of Kafka as it dealt with the manifestations of government, education and more upon the life of citizens.

There are some cool connections I can stretch between McGoohan and Bowie.  Patrick McGoohan played a spy using the name David Jones in the film Ice Station Zebra and David Bowie was born with the name David Jones.  Both Bowie and McGoohan died in the month of January.  Both Patrick McGoohan and David Bowie are at the top of my list of favorite artists.

Artists have always been my heroes.  How appropriate that one of Bowie’s songs is called Heroes.  And then there’s also that early hit of Bowie’s called changes that is always due a new listening.

1 comment:

  1. Hello!
    Patrick McGoohan is my favorite all time actor...I was only about 4 when the half hour Danger Man episodes were shown in Great Britain, but was 8 when the show was renamed Secret Agent and shown as 60 minute episodes here in the U.S.

    I was spellbound by the charismatic Patrick McGoohan, and developed quite a crush on him. I loved watching him defeat his foes with his intellect, though if need be he could dispatch them with his fists too.
    I was introduced to a wonderful range of types of music, and the illusion of being in different countries around the world too.
    When it was announced that Secret Agent wouldn't be returning to the schedule I was heartbroken! But good news soon appeared..Patrick McGoohan was working on another new tv series!!

    I was beside myself waiting to see the new show...and was ecstatic when ARRIVAL premiered ! As an 11 or 12 year old, I was fascinated by Rover and the weird "Village" that the man found himself kidnapped and taken to.
    I must admit that at that age I mainly watched the show as a straight forward man kidnapped and fighting back and trying to escape. Through the past almost 50 years I go back and watch the shows about every 5 years...and I enjoy watching them today just as much as I did back then.

    However, NOW that I am older, I have been able to understand that there is another dimension to The Prisoner that I couldn't comprehend as a child. Now there is a puzzle, conundrum, allegory, parable, whatever you want to call it...but there are all kinds of "messages" in the show to decipher and try to understand.

    Most people either love The Prisoner or they hate it...well I can proudly say that I LOVE it!!! We lost a truly unique thinker when we lost Pat McGoohan...although he slipped away into his privacy and most people didn't even notice....I
    DID and will forever appreciate his endurance, foresight and dedication to getting The Prisoner filmed...and to the man who not only portrayed a forceful individual...he WAS one in real life!

    Be Seeing You!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete