Monday, October 3, 2016

2001...Are We There Yet?

Keir Dullea & I.  September 2016
My mind’s been in – or on – 2001 of late.

I’ve seen the science fiction film many times but over the last few weeks I finally took time to read the book by Arthur C. Clarke.  It’s as sprawling and magnificent a science fiction experience as the film is but a bit less enigmatic – but only a bit.  The book, as is usually the case, fleshes out several sequences.  Interestingly in the book the monolith has multiple lessons like how to tie knots in addition to the use of deadly force with a bone.  And the ending has a more menacing, if not surprising, note to it.

In addition to the book, in September I had the pleasure of hearing at the MidAtlantic Nostalgia Convention first hand 2001 film remembrances by stars Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood.  Interestingly, Dullea said that HAL’s voice on set was delivered by a set worker with a cockney accent light years from the iconic computer's now famous voice.  Both Dullea and Lockwood agreed that director Stanley Kubrick had a masterful photographer’s eye, especially in regards to detail.  Kubrick was also open to allowing the actors to bring ideas to the table.  Lockwood suggested the astronauts attempt to confer without HAL’s ease dropping in the space pod.  It’s a scene I can assure you was not in the book.

I’m done with 2001 for now.  It’s 2016.  But I have to wonder – where are the promised space ships?

No comments:

Post a Comment